The Result of Two Minutes of Testimony at the Land Use Committee Meeting is that discussions about CEQA reform will continue in San Francisco.
In a stunning display of organization and passion, the Community CEQA Improvement Team together with speakers including former Supervisors Jake McGoldrick, Aaron Peskin and John Bardis pushed the popular agenda, resulting in Supervisor Jane Kim speaking out forcefully in favor of her version of CEQA reform, rebuffing Supervisor Wiener’s version of the legislation in this afternoon’s Land Use Committee hearing.
The outcome of today’s hearing will be a fresh review of new CEQA legislation from Supervisor Kim and the renegotiation of five points of Supervisor Wiener’s version:
- 1) Board Hearings of CEQA appeals should continue v. subcommittee hearings only
- 2) The “Fair Argument” standard should be applied to every appeal
- 3) Website notices of CEQA decisions should be published, but should also be circulated
- 4) Documentation deadline for appeals should be maintained at the current standard
- 5) Both ‘First Approval” and “Last Approval” triggers for CEQA-based appeals need to be reevaluated.
The number of speakers on opposing sides of the argument was very high–approximately 23 speakers came out in favor of Wiener’s version, and 49 against. Thanks to all who showed up or generously donated their time to contribute to tonight’s hearing. Thanks for your ideas and for speaking out clearly and forcefully. – Roland