This the latest edition of Amendments to SB-827. We are still concerned with many aspects of the bill.
- Local inclusionary %affordable requirements apply (anticipated this, doesn’t really change anything)
- Rent controlled homes cannot be demolished for SB 827 without local govt demo permit; every displaced tenant will have a Right to Remain Guarantee – which is really only a right of first refusal upon completion at the rent previously “enjoyed” by the tenant in their demolished unit (see #4)
- Local demo permit process shall remain
- Displacement protections: moving expenses & 42 months rental assistance for comparable unit in the area; right of first refusal…
- Local setback and yard requirements remain enforceable
- State density bonuses may be added
- Transit rich projects only qualify within 1/4 of a transit stop on a corridor; not the corridor itself
- Street width changes from curb to curb to property line to property line; the width threshold for the taller heights is now 75 feet instead of 45 feet.
- Parcels affected are residential and mixed use; not industrial
- SB827 projects may be eligible for SB35 streamlining
This really doesn’t change much. It’s still a power grab, and the heights didn’t change, if anything state density bonus impact is confirmed. We always anticipated the local inclusionary requirement would be present.